&ot absonderpop: Boss Week, Pt. 1: Maybe We Ain't That Young Anymore

Monday, June 25, 2007

Boss Week, Pt. 1: Maybe We Ain't That Young Anymore



Nick Hornby wrote in 31 Songs, "[...] this four and three quarter minutes provided Jim Steinman and Meatloaf with a whole career".
And yes, Thunder Road is bombastic and cliché-ridden, but it was Bruce Springsteen that sort of invented this kind of bombasticism and the notion of cars and girls and running away together.

Having grown up in a part of the world that is anything but like New Jersey, I had to reach my thirties to "get" Springsteen. Still, this songs stands the test of time and ranges up there in my all-time top ten.

Thunder Road takes it's title from a 1958 movie starring Robert Mitchum, though Springsteen claimes never to have seen the film before writing the song.

Bruce Springsteen: Thunder Road
Bruce Springsteen: Thunder Road (acoustic demo)
Bruce Springsteen: Thunder Road (alternate take 1)
Bruce Springsteen: Thunder Road (alternate take 2)
Bruce Springsteen: Thunder Road (live)
Bruce Springsteen: The Story of Thunder Road (VH1 Storytellers)
Bruce Springsteen: Thunder Road (VH1 Storytellers)
Tori Amos: Thunder Road
Melissa Etheridge feat. Bruce Springsteen: Thunder Road (live)
Kevin Rowland: Thunder Road
Barbara Fasano: Thunder Road
Greg Kihn: Thunder Road
Mary Lou Lord: Thunder Road (live)
Badly Drawn Boy: Thunder Road
Dan Bern: Thunder Road
Cowboy Junkies: Thunder Road
Ashton Jones: Thunder Road
Tortoise and Bonnie "Prince" Billy: Thunder Road
Paul Baribeau: Thunder Road (live)
Matt Tyler: Thunder Road
Milow: Thunder Road
Hayward Williams: Thunder Road

If you happen to have another version of this song, feel free to send it in and I'll include it in this list.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have time to post blog comments often, but just wanted to let you know that yours is appreciated. You put up some amazing stuff. I loved today's, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the Springsteens!

BTW, one of my other obsessions is original versions, so I've been attempting to collect original's of Springsteen covers (mostly live ... he doesn't record many officially) for the purpose of putting together parallel CDs with same songs by Boss and originals. Someday I'll find time to finish it!

EP
Buffalo, NY

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not convenient for me to send it right now (I'm traveling and away from my CDs) but I quite like the Mary Lou Lord version from Live City Sounds.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to wallow in this.

The Kevin Rowland (lead singer of Dexy's Midnight Runners) is the WORST cover song of all time. He changes lyrics in a way that misses the point of the song. Was he drunk? HIGHLY recommended for those who like weird recordings.

Ace

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I see it's already there. Well, I like it anyway.

10:47 PM  
Blogger absonderpop said...

It's even worse if you look at the picture on the Kevin Rowland CD this one's from... ;-)

Cheers, Netzhaut

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HAD to grab that Rowland. It's just horrible. the Bonnie Prince Bille is haunting, dangerous and apropos.
To the anon who wants to collect as much live Boss as he can, go for it. I have 10 different versions of Light of Day I amassed during an obsessive time with the boss.
Oi!

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Counting Crows do a live version of "Rain King" that segues into "Thunder Road" then sort of mixes the two at the end. Freaking lovely.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Cody Russell McComas said...

I came across your blog on The Hype Machine. I really, really like the version of Thunder Road where Bruce is solo at the piano and telling the story behind it, and the following performance of it. I have searched everywhere for it and would love to get my hands on it. Where did you get it?

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home